Facebook Badge

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Amazing Spider-Man #655 (Marvel)

"I guess......if I were Aunt May......you would have found a way to save me."~Marla Jameson to Peter Parker/Spider-man

Writer: Dan Slott
Art: Marcos Martin
Colors: Muntsa Vincente
Letters: VC's Joe Caramagna
Assistant editor: Ellie Pyle
Senior editor: Stephen Wacker
Editor in chief: Axel Alonso
Chief creative officer: Joe Quesada
Publisher: Dan Buckley
Executive producer: Alan Fine

Comic Book Week: February 23, 2011



 As promised to you guys last week I bought the Amazing Spider-man which I would not normally buy at the advice of my lcbs (local comic book shop.....natch! @strangeadventrz fyi!). The cover was very prettie so I was interested to see what was inside & I was gladly not disappointed!

Although a recap page would have been nice I quickly discovered that Marla Jameson has died & this book shows her funeral & the cast's reaction to her death. Marla Jameson is (was?) the wife of J. Jonah Jameson the now mayor of New York. I did not know this until my bf told me that & he had no idea that she still existed. While this may have reduced the depth of the book taken on it's own "Awakening (No One Dies Part 1 of 2" is a moving tribute even to one who does not know who the character is or was. The first half is told in silence mostly from J. Jonah Jameson's perspective & the stark reality of an old man left alone in the world was tear jerking. It reminded me of the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Buffy's mom died. *sniff!* :'(

The second half moves over to Peter Parker dreaming about all the people in his life who have died & his feelings of responsibility for those deaths. The shift in story telling styles is a little bit awkward but not so much as to ruin the story. This dream then leads to Spidey making a decision that seems very familiar but is quite different at the same time. This decision will clearly impact part 2 of the story next issue but really only the last 2 pages have any thing to do with the ongoing story & they end in a niceish cliff hanger!

Dan Slott is usually known for his humor but this story shows he can pull at ♥ strings too. The artwork is very old fashioned & sort of like John Romita Jr which is not normally what I necessarily like......kind of chunkie & too heavily inked........sorry! ^9,9^

The colors & letters are prettie.

So in spite of there being no recap & the art work not blowing me away Kara's Comic for this week gets a..........

RATING: 7 tear drops out of 10!

Thanx for reading! Sorry about there being no bonus this week.......tired & need sleep! nite nite! ツ*

No comments:

Post a Comment